top of page
Search

Mold Allergies

Unfortunately, mold lives everywhere, both indoors and outdoors, and is one of the most common allergens that cause allergic reactions year-round. Some species of molds can remain alive in a dormant condition within a large range of temperatures.


Mold is a fungus that produces a large number of spores and requires moisture and humidity to grow. Mold is well-adapted for both water and wind dispersal.


Airborne spores can remain in the air for long periods and easily cling to clothing, shoes, and your pet fur. Inhaling those spores cause allergic reactions, such as hay fever symptoms or trigger asthma if reaching the lungs.The symptoms of mold allergy are more severe than the symptoms of other airborne allergies and include mucus discharge from the nose, congestion, achy joints, headache, fatigue, and respiratory irritation.


To prevent mold and mildew from building up inside your home:


  • Lower indoor humidity – below 45%;

  • Use exhaust fans in the rooms to draw excess moisture from the air;

  • Clean out your gutters to direct the water away from your home foundations. A damp basement is a breeding ground for mold.


To reduce your exposure to mold spores outside:


  • Limit your time spent outdoors when mold counts are high;

  • Wear a dust mask and sunglasses outside.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page